<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

1.02.2013

Carob Fudge Cake With Coconut Carob Icing





What is carob you ask? well if my research serves me correctly it's the fruit / pod from the carob tree which is a species of flowering evergreen shrub or tree in the pea family.

The trees grow in places such as Spain, Italy and Morocco and the pods typically dried or roasted, and mildly sweet. In powdered, chip, or syrup form it is used as an ingredient in cakes and cookies, and is used as a substitute for chocolate.

Carob was eaten in Ancient Egypt. It was also a common sweetener and was used in the hieroglyph for "sweet" (nedjem). Dried carob fruit is traditionally eaten on the Jewish holiday of Tu Bishvat. Carob juice drinks are traditionally drunk during the Islamic month of Ramadan. Also it is believed to be an aphrodisiac.

All above info courtesy of wiki

I want to say this cake was the best thing I've ever eaten because mashaAllah the photos aren't half bad BUT i just didn't like the bitter earthy taste of carob at all, it didn't taste like chocolate then again maybe dark chocolate does taste like that, i don't honestly know but i won't be experimenting with carob again inshaAllah

Good news alhamduillah my kids seem to like this cake and are so easily taken it by it's chocolate appearance.

Anyone own a dog? well carob is a good substitute for chocolate because if you own a dog you know that they aren't supposed to consume chocolate and why? i don't have a clue but some random fact I've obtained over the years growing up always with a dog in the house alhamduillah that is not the case now.

If you do fancy giving this recipe a go after my terrible review, head on over to carob fudge cake it's an egg free cake which is always a plus if you don't have eggs in the kitchen or have allergies and the only changes i made were replacing the butter in the cake for margarine and for the icing i used 100g coconut butter and 20g vegetable shortening, i stayed with cows milk in the cake but i think you could change that for soy, rice, almond etc oh and i added some sugar crystals for decoration.

Sorry for all the negativity around here lately but with every negative experience you learn something new, what you do and don't like and how kids will surprise you and eat the fake chocolate cake to save the calories from your hips and save you from being wasteful alhamduillah

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 2 January 2013 at 15:36 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salam alayki sister, I will have to look up Carob as I am not familiar with it. I am surprised you were able to make the cake successfully without using eggs as I thought you had to always use some sort of alternative.
Looks good though mashaAllah. Kids always eat. Mine eat the over done boiled eggs that are dark yellow or darker! I can only eat mine orange.

 
At 2 January 2013 at 16:49 , Blogger Noor said...

Your so funny post a recipe that you dont like lol.

 
At 2 January 2013 at 18:09 , Blogger Umm Ahmad said...

Before I was Muslim, I was SDA of course they follow the vegetarian/vegan health ways. So we always ate carob rather than chocolate. There is carob chips, carob powder, etc. I had almost forgotten about it, I may have to include it in my pantry again! I remember we use to add instant coffee (of course the kind that is caffeine free) to make it taste more like chocolate.

 
At 4 January 2013 at 15:58 , Blogger Unknown said...

Salam Alaikum sisters,

Thank you for your comments.

@sanaa - your right, my kids are only fussy when it comes to savoury lol

@noor - lol you know me

@UmmAhmad - Thanks for the tip about adding coffee to make the carob taste more like chocolate.

 
At 5 January 2013 at 02:27 , Blogger Aiza said...

Hey. I think you didn't like them because you knew that it wasn't chocolate. Also I am generally not motivated to eat the food I make myself. Sounds psychological.

 
At 5 January 2013 at 20:54 , Blogger Noor said...

I add a bit of espresso in chocolate also it does bring out the flavor.

 
At 9 January 2013 at 20:03 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Asmaa, I have to say that even though you were not delighted by the carob in this recipe, this cake looks super moist and yummy. The pictures have me drooling and dreaming of a cold glass of milk.

 
At 11 January 2013 at 10:39 , Blogger Karima said...

As soon as I read you page, I laughed! I read the title and said to myself 'what is carob?' and your first line was 'what is carob you ask? Wow you just read my mind lol! Great Post - I learned something new today!

 
At 11 January 2013 at 11:26 , Blogger Unknown said...

@Angela - Thank you for your nice comment

@Karima - lol great minds think alike and thank you x

 
At 14 January 2013 at 10:15 , Blogger sue said...

Salam Asma were is the recipe for this cake love to try this out InshaAllah wa alaikum salam khadija

 
At 14 January 2013 at 11:52 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wa alaykum Salam wa rahmatullah,

Follow this link khadija http://www.iskcon.net.au/kurma/2007/04/20

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

 
At 2 March 2013 at 21:32 , Blogger Unknown said...

My family love Carob... but i can not stand the taste at all. i will try and make this for them.

 
At 4 March 2013 at 08:15 , Blogger Unknown said...

@salwa - i hope your family enjoy the cake when you make it, in sha Allah

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home