<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

3.16.2013

How To Make Vanilla Rough Puff Pastry From McDougalls Puff Pastry Mix

Ingredients:

  • 1 x 225 gram Packet, McDougalls Puff Pastry Mix
  • 5-6 tablespoon Cold Water
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste (I use this one) or seeds scraped from half a vanilla pod
  • Plain flour for dusting work surface and rolling pin

Equipment:

  • Medium size bowl
  • A butter knife
  • Rolling pin
  • Tablespoon
  • Teaspoon
  • Ruler *optional

Method

Pour contents of puff pastry mix package into a medium size bowl. Add vanilla.
Add Water (start with 5tbsp)
Mix together using a butter knife, when the dough starts coming together switch to using your right hand * the dough may need a little more water to bring it together than stated above.
Don't worry you will still see big chunks of fat! the rolling and folding sequence that comes next will make those disappear but maybe not from your conscience. 
Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin. Place dough on work surface and get ready to roll!
Roll into a narrow rectangular sort of shape, around 22cm x 10cm and 2.5cm thick but don't worry if it's bigger or smaller it's not sooo important.
 Lay the pastry vertically in front of you
Visualize the pastry being divided into 3 then fold the top third of pastry into the middle third
Fold the bottom third of pastry over the other two thirds
Repeat the rolling, folding x4 until you end up with a smooth block of puff pastry like this
Lightly dust your puff pastry with flour, wrap in cling film and chill in fridge until required.

Bakers Note: If you live in  a hot country or you find the fat in the pastry is melting, you may need to chill your dough in the fridge for 10minutes between each of the 4 repetitions.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 17 March 2013 at 10:57 , Blogger Aiza said...

Salaam x
You make it sound really easy. Now puff pastry is definitely on my to bake list for the summer.
Ah. I can't believe how much happiness I have recieved from the blogging world. It made me be a better person. :)

 
At 19 March 2013 at 07:12 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wa Alaykum Salam Aiza,

Really it is easy masha'Allah especially if you use a packet mix! I haven't quite perfected how to cook puff pastry...yet I don't know what happened I got the cooking just right the first time but since then it has always appeared greasy as if it's under baked, in sha Allah next time I can cook it right so I can share my vanilla slice recipe in full :)
I agree it's good to connect with sisters through the blogging world. Stay Happy xx

 
At 14 May 2014 at 12:16 , Blogger groceries2go said...

I am grateful to you for this great content.I am reading your article and its very nice, useful & helpful for those guys who wanna know about the same. McDougalls Sponge Mix

 

Post a Comment

I like to hear from my readers, sincere advice is welcome so feel free to leave me a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home